Monday, September 14, 2020

Journaling Your Way to Creativity

 Creativity isn't something that comes naturally for all people.  Some have to work diligently to find and maintain that creative spark.  There are many different ways to do this, but my favorite is journaling.  No, not keeping a Bullet Journal (although you can keep your journaling entries in your BuJo).  Journaling is the act of writing or drawing in a designated space in free form or following prompts.  You can journal about your life, ideas, art, literature, travel, cooking, or anything your heart desires.  If used properly, journaling can give you immense insight into yourself and the world in which you live.

In the vast world of journaling, there are few rules, if any.  However, I would like to make some suggestions from my own experience that may help you in your journaling adventure.

1.  Have a designated journal that you use for each different topic.  Right now, besides my Bullet Journal, I have a daily journal for addressing prompts found on the Facebook group page called The Stationery Nerd Herd.  The Stationery Nerd Herd is a group dedicated to the love of stationery in all forms (including journals!!!).  I also have a dedicated art journal, and a Harry Potter Moleskine journal for compiling my chapter reflections of the Harry Potter series of novel aligned with the podcast called Harry Potter and the Sacred Text.  Four journals at once may seem like a lot to some people, but it helps me to stay organized in my thought process.

2.  Designate a specific time and place to journal.  This may seem like a no-brainer, but just like with schoolwork, we function at our highest when there is order in our world.  You may choose to write daily, weekly, or when you finish the end of a chapter in a book (like I do with my HPST journal).  By setting a specific time for the creative writing process, you validate the act itself.  Schedule time in your planner or BuJo for this important task just like you would for a haircut or a spa day.  This should be dedicated "you" time.

3.  Start the journaling process with a given prompt.  I have included this because it is hard looking at a blank page with no idea what to write.  You can easily "Google" journal prompts from art to self-care and everything in-between.  Just pick one and start writing.  I have enjoyed being a member of The Stationery Nerd Herd, because the group owner has provided members with almost a year full of journaling prompts in at least 8 different categories.  Pam Tremble, the group owner, has recently published a book called 30 Days of Journaling: An Introduction to Daily Journaling.  If you do not know where to start journaling, start here.

4.  Buy a journal and pen/pencil that you love to use.  No one wants to write in a wide ruled composition book with a Ticonderoga pencil.  If you are going to journal, use one that will excite you every time you open it.  There are TONS of journals out there, and the search for the right one that suits your needs can be daunting.  While I prefer black, hard-bound, dot-ruled or blank journals, not many do.  Lucky for us, Pam Tremble has unraveled the mystery of the best journals in 2020 which you can find here.  My suggestion is to find a cheap colorful journal to begin the process, and graduate to a new journal after filling the first as a reward.  Pens are a whole other story.  Choose a pen that feels good in your hand, has a color of ink you like, and will not bleed through paper.  Ballpoints and gel pens are fine for this activity.  My favorite pen is a Dr. Grip Gel Pen by Pilot which promoted by the Arthritis Foundation for ease-of-use.  They are more expensive than other similar pens; however, you can buy ink refills and reuse the barrel.  I keep a ballpoint and a gel pen in my purse which I have had for over 10 years.

For those of you that want to keep your daily journaling in your bullet journal, or just need a place to start for now, I have created a Minimalist Journal Entry BuJo Page that you may download for free here.  It fits a Statement sized sheet of paper as well as an A5.



 
I hope that you learn to enjoy the journaling process as much as I do.  Feel free to leave comments with your favorite journals, pens, or prompts.  Happy journaling!

~ Melissa




No comments:

Post a Comment