Sunday, September 13, 2026

Finding (and Keeping) Ephemera for Your Travel Journal

So, you've decided to create a combination travel journal like the ones which I have mentioned in earlier posts.  Now what?  Do you want to use premade templates, create art, write on specific travel prompts, or create a spread just on the types of clothing you wish to wear while on your travels?  Either of these are great examples of where to start your travel journal, but the items which personalize your journal most often appear as ephemera.  So without further adieu...


What is "ephemera?"

The Society of American Archivists define ephemera as "items that people create for a short-term, single use and expect to throw away."  Honestly, we live in a rather throw-away society, so these items are relatively available... but that is a discussion for another post.  I explain that ephemera is most often paper items that you can pick up, take, stuff in your purse or bookbag, and hide in an envelope that speak of where you have been, what you have done, or how you got there.  

Examples of  "Where you have been" ephemera:
  • Maps
  • Brochures
  • Receipts
  • Stamps
  • Matchbooks
This type of ephemera is usually larger than what you would want to paste or glue into a travel journal, so travel journal crafters often cut these items down to size to fit a page or spread.  I like to think of these as "background art" or "supporting evidence."  While I would not want a Rand McNally map to be the sole item of evidence from my journal, I think it is colorful and could easily serve as the background for a road trip spread.  In fact, I may even use that idea the next time I plan a road trip.

                                                                       @anjahome

This image by @anjahome is pretty ubiquitous in the world of travel journaling.  Everyone wants to see where they would like to go and where they have been.  Maps like these tell so much more than just boxes checked on a Bucket List.  These are most often in color.

@jashiicorrin


@jashiicorrin does the same here, but on a smaller scale.  Please note that this travel journalist color coordinates this entire page.  Beautiful!!

@Molly Ella


@Molly Ella does a lovely job using a variety of ephemera all on one page.  Take a look at the map on the right hand page.  This is very similar to a post of mine in a different journal using a Washington, D.C. Metro Map to record the places we visited on our last family trip.


Examples of "What you have done" ephemera:
  • Theater tickets
  • Ticket stubs
  • Menus (takeout)
  • Business cards
  • Postcards
  • Stickers
  • Food wrappers (clean)
  • Pressed pennies
  • Pressed flowers
These ephemera types may be the most enjoyable to obtain.  When I was in high school, I created our school's Latin club yearly scrapbook to compete in national contests.  During those four years, I became a veritable kleptomaniac.  If a five finger discount is your style, then you are taking a chance that, although thrilling, may not be your best method for obtaining ephemera.  As an adult, I have found that proprietors are almost always willing to hunt down these items for you if you break out your journal and explain what you need.  If you don't have a folder in the back of your journal, then carry a manilla envelope with you in the back of your journal for the collection of such items.

                                                                                @Anabelle O'Malley

This journal spread by @Anabelle O'Malley captures the idea of the movie ticket stub in a truly authentic way.  Note how she uses layering, photos, paper, and actual film to capture the theme of the spread.


@Harley&Jane


@Harley&Jane have splattered tickets of all sorts on this spread!  While it is not my style of journaling (my OCD is crying out to me!), this is an excellent way to keep to a theme or to keep all of your momentos in one place.


@SunnyDayswithJuliette


When I grow up, I want to create travel journal spreads like @Sunny Days with Juliette!  Check out how she includes many types of ephemera (and various styles of journaling) all in one spread.


Examples of "How did you get there" ephemera:
  • Plane tickets
  • Subway passes
  • Cruise brochures
  • Rain checks
  • Rental receipts
  • Highway Brochures in Rest Stops
  • Logos

@jose_naranja

I love these pages by @jose_naranja!  Jose uses tickets, and logos here to show where he has been.  I really like the hand-drawn logo of the Underground.


@angelagiles


@AngelaGiles creates a spread that uses cutouts to depict the items which she thinks is important about this sea adventure.  Using various sorts of ephemera on one page, the reader gets a full experience of this particular portion of her trip.


With just a little creativity, you, too, can create memorable travel journal spreads.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so use all of the ephemera you like to make your trip one to remember.  After all, this journal is for you and no one else.  Just as unique as your own fingerprint, you travel journal sees the world and your desire for wanderlust through your lens.  I sincerely hope that you can use these sample spreads and all the various types of ephemera in a way that is meaningful to you.  

In the next post, I hope to show you various ways that I have used ephemera in my own travel journal.  Stay tuned, and happy trails!



No comments:

Post a Comment